B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2011.
Common to B.E./B.Tech. (EEE/EIE/ICE/Chemical/BioTech./Textile/Fashion/Plastics)
185302 — ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)1. What are renewable and non-renewable resources?
2. State four damages caused by the use of fertilizer.
3. What is Biodiversity?
4. Suggest four important features of desert Ecosystem.
5. Suggest four important sources of air pollution.
6. Suggest any four Nuclear hazards.
7. What is Acid rain? Explain.
8. Give two effects of Ozone layer depletion.
9. Give two effects of population growth.
10. What are advantages of Family welfare program?
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)11. (a) Explain in detail on various renewable energy sources in the earth. (16)
(b) Discuss in detail on :
(i) Land resources (4)
(ii) Land degradation (4)
(iii) Soil Erosion and desertification. (8)
12. (a) With a neat sketch, discuss the structure and function of Ecosystem. (16)
(b) Explain the values of Biodiversity. (16)
13. (a) Discuss the control of air pollution using Cyclone separator for dust
removal and Absorption tower for gaseous pollutants removal. (16)
(b) Discuss the method of solid waste management by sanitary land filling
and thermal means. (16)
14. (a) What is global warming? Explain the measures to prevent it and also
explain the effects of global warming. (16)
(b) Discuss the methods of waste land reclamation with examples. (16)
15. (a) Discuss in details on various health scheme initiated by Indian
(b) Mention the role of Information Technology on Environment protection
and Human health protection. (16)