EE 2303 TRANSMISSION AND DISTRIBUTION ANNA UNIVERSITY QUESTION PAPER, IMPORTANT QUESTIONS, 2 MARKS AND 16 MARKS QUESTIONS FOR EEE DEPARTMENT
ANNA UNIVERSITY QUESTION PAPER TRANSMISSION AND DISTRIBUTION , IMPORTANT QUESTIONS, 2 MARKS AND 16 MARKS QUESTIONS FOR EEE DEPARTMENT
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2010
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
EE 2303 — TRANSMISSION AND DISTRIBUTION
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 Marks
Answer ALL questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)1. State the disadvantages of HVDC transmission.
2. Which factors affect sag in the transmission line?
3. Define skin effect.
4. What are the advantages of using bundled conductors?
5. What is Ferranti effect?
6. What is shunt compensation?
7. Define string efficiency.
8. What is the necessity of grading of an under ground cable?
9. List the various substation equipments.
10. Why are transmission lines 3 phase 3 wire circuits while distribution lines are
3 phase 4 wire circuits?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)11. (a) Discuss in detail the various equipments used in HVDC converter
(b) An overhead line has a span of 336 m. The line is supported ,at a water
Crossing from two towers whose heights are 33.6 m and 29 m above
water level. The weight of conductor is 8.33 N/m and tension in the
conductor is not to exceed 3.34 × 104 N. Find (i) Clearance between the
lowest point on the conductor and water (ii) horizontal distance of this
point from the lower support.
12. (a) Derive the expression for inductance of a three phase line with
(b) A 220 KV, 50 Hz, 200 Km long three phase line has its conductors on the
corners of a triangle with sides 6 m, 6m and 12 m. The conductor radius
is 1.81 cm. Find the capacitance per phase per km, capacitive reactance
per phase, charging current and total charging Mega volt-amperes.
13. (a) What is a nominal Π (pi) circuit? Find the ABCD constants for nominal
(b) Write short notes on :
(i) Shunt compensation. (8)
(ii) Series compensation. (8)
14. (a) Discuss briefly on the following :
(i) Pin Type insulator. (8)
(ii) Suspension Type insulator. (8)
(b) Derive the expression for the Insulation resistance, capacitance, Electric
stress and dielectric loss of a single core cable.
15. (a) Explain briefly the various types of bus bar arrangements in a
(b) Discuss briefly each of the following :
(i) Feeders. (4)
(ii) Radial distribution. (6)
(iii) Ring main distribution. (6)