EE 2252 POWER PLANT ENGINEERING ANNA UNIVERSITY PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPER, IMPORTANT QUESTIONS, 2 MARKS AND 16 MARKS QUESTIONS FOR EEE DEPARTMENT
ANNA UNIVERSITY PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPER EE2252 POWER PLANT ENGINEERING IMPORTANT QUESTIONS, 2 MARKS AND 16 MARKS QUESTIONS FOR EEE DEPARTMENT
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2010
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
EE2252 — POWER PLANT ENGINEERING
Time: Three hours Maximum: 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)1. Mention the various modern ash handling systems.
2. What are the factors affecting cooling of water in cooling tower?
3. Enumerate advantages and disadvantages of hydropower plants.
4. What is a surge tank?
5. What are the requirements of fission process?
6. What are the essential components of a nuclear reactor?
7. State the merits and demerits of closed cycle gas turbine over open cycle gas
turbine power plant.
8. State the applications of diesel power plant.
9. What is a fuel cell?
10. What are the advantages and limitations of tidal power plant?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)11. (a) Give the layout of a modern steam power plant and explain it briefly.
(b) How are cooling towers classified? Explain any one of them with a neat
12. (a) Explain with a neat sketch a pumped storage power plant.
(b) What is the function of a hydraulic turbine? How are the turbines
classified? Explain any one with a suitable sketch.
13. (a) With the help of a sketch show all the important part of nuclear reactor.
Describe briefly the functions of each part.
(b) Explain the following terms:
(i) Fission of nuclear fuel
(ii) Distribution of fission energy
(iii) The chain reaction.
14. (a) Discuss briefly the methods employed for improvement of thermal
efficiency of open gas turbine power plant.
(b) List the essential components of a diesel power plant and explain them
15. (a) Explain with a neat diagram of wind electric generating power plant.
(b) Describe open cycle MHD system with suitable sketch.